Telescope for a Beginner

Hi :p

I'm new to astronomy and I've been thinking about which telescope I should buy for my first telescope. I've seen a few beginner telescope made by Celestron and Sky-Watcher, they look good, but I would prefer to buy something which has been tried and proved by someone who's been watching the stars for much longer than I have!

As this is my first, I don't really want to be spending over £100, I'll only spend over £100 if the telescope really outshines the telescopes you can pick up for £50.

Thanks all and I look forward to sharing my pictures and becoming a part of the community !

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'll be totally honest and say that, with a budget of less than £100 you would be better off buying a decent pair of binoculars and a good sky guide.

In my view, you need to spend £140 or more on a scope to get anything that will give you some satisfying views. Something like this for example:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

By all means see what others advise as well though :p

Hi,

I've just read a brilliant article : Sky Publishing - How to Start Right in Astronomy

It's basically what I was looking for! I think I'll definitely go for a good pair of binoculars, I'll raid my local library for beginner guides and before taking the plunge of purchasing a telescope I'll make sure I know the stars inside and out!

Thanks for your advice, let the learning begin :p

That's a very sensible plan, Steven. Just pop over here if you have questions. Learn the constellations. Take the binos camping somewhere dark. Spend a little time reading about telescopes and you'll be much better prepared for a purchase. Welcome to SGL!

LAst weekend one of the charity shops near me had a nice set of 10x50's in their window at £7.50.

It could be worth looking in a few and seeing if there is anything similar.

Thats a good tip - I've seen lots of decent binoculars in charity shops including my birding Zeiss 8x30's which cost just £20 !.

Archived