which is best viewing

A couple of things to clear my mind if you could be so kind folks

Just wondering is there any difference in 2" ep and 1.25 regarding viewing ? (apart from diameter :p)

if so would i better off with 2" via an adapter ?

I see these plossl and kellner ep how do they compare to my standard ones that came with the scope?

will be getting filters as well so have to take this into consideration also.

So would i be better buying 2" ?

The difference between 2" and 1.25" is purely that the larger format can deliver a wider field of view.

The eyepieces supplied with scopes are generally a type of Kellner (or similar). The plossl design is an improvement if you go for a good make like Tele Vue, Meade 4000's or GSO.

Many folks find the TMB planetary types and BST Explorers a nice step up in performance at a reasonable cost (around £40 per eyepiece).

Many people end up with 1.25" eyepieces for medium to high power viewing and 2" ones for low power.

I personally would stay away from eyepiece kits that might appear good value but because you inevitably end up only using one or two of them regularly, you will then have wasted money on the remainder. Better to buy one at a time, preferably used from the 'For Sale' section as this will offer you better value than those kits. Also, when you want to upgrade to say an eyepiece that has a larger field of view, you can sale the used eyepiece on for as much as you paid for it, so your ownership of it will have cost nothing. Alternatively, you will have difficulty selling on an inexpensive eyepiece kit when you want to upgrade.

James

Hi there, since Purchasing the TMB planetary, it has made viewing much more enjoyable, the extra eyerelief is a god send as is the twist up eyecup. Having also got a sw scoPe with the standard ep's ther is a marked improvement in field of view, clarity and contrast. Great ep's for the price. Checkout skysthelimit

• 2 weeks later...

Archived