BinoViewers - opinions and questions

Hi all,

After some advice, yet again :glasses2:

Last couple of weeks I have been suffering a bit with problems in my right eye, diagnosed by my optician as being a very dry eye, and most likely caused by a combination of a bit of eye strain and not blinking while I've observing...;) The eye is thankfully on the mend, but it has got me thinking about binoviewers and whether they might be a good solution for some of my observing time... as much as I try to switch to my left eye, it just doesn't quite feel natural and I find myself switching straight back to using the right eye.

So, I've been looking at the Williams Optics ones at FLO.. seem like a good price, and they come with 2 x 20mm eyepieces as well: First Light Optics - William Optics Binoviewer

So first of all, I'd be really interesting in hearing views on binoviewers in general, and the WO ones in particular. People do seem to rave about binoviewers, but are they better for eg on particularly types of objects, like the moon, planets?

So then a couple of questions:

- will the additional weight be a problem on my 6SE?

- eyepieces. If I do get the binoviewers, I'll probably stick with the supplied two eyepieces initially. But when I want to start using different mags.... do the two eyepieces need to be identical models, or is it enough that both are the same type with the same FOV and magnification? So... if I've already got a 10mm plossl, can I just buy any other 10mm plossl to use in the binoviewer, or do I need to either find the exact same model as the one I've got, or buy two completely new, matching 10mm plossls?

Thanks all in advance for what is always most excellent advice.

Matsey :rolleyes:

Hi Matsey,

I can't give a whole lot of info as I've only just this week bought a set of the WO from a forum member. I did have a session with them on Friday to view Jupiter mainly, which was really worthwhile as it was perhaps the best viewing I have yet had of it. I believe they are best suited for the moon and planets as the viewing is a little darker than via a single eyepiece but that was what I wanted them for. Had a little tour around Orion and saw the nebula (had a light pollution filter fitted) which was more than I expected.

All of this was on a SW150 refractor which had been shortened to use binoviewers, I have yet to try it on my 6" sct. Even so I could only focus with the special barlow that came with the set.

From what I've read the eyepieces should be the same perhaps more importantly of a type that will fit. The binoviewers come with their own barlow (but fits like a filter added to the nosepiece).

As we are in the same town perhaps we can arrange for you to use them on your scope so you can try before you buy. Drop me a PM if interested.

Steve

Very important to try this type of kit before you buy as there a small number of people who find difficulty in merging the two images as one - hopefully this won't apply to you. I am thinking of getting some myself so will interested to read about your experience of Steve's very generous offer. There are a number of variants that would appear to be rebadged for specific brands of which WO is the most popular because its price includes two eyepieces. I would be very interested to know about what mechanism is employed to secure each eyepiece and how they are brought to focus to match differences in each eye.

Look forward to your update

James

Very important to try this type of kit before you buy as there a small number of people who find difficulty in merging the two images as one - hopefully this won't apply to you. I am thinking of getting some myself so will interested to read about your experience of Steve's very generous offer. There are a number of variants that would appear to be rebadged for specific brands of which WO is the most popular because its price includes two eyepieces. I would be very interested to know about what mechanism is employed to secure each eyepiece and how they are brought to focus to match differences in each eye.

Look forward to your update

James

The WO has what looks like a standard eyepiece for each eye that simply goes in a normal eyepiece holder secured by a big friendly screw. You then turn each eyepiece (helical screw I think) to focus each eye independently - I used the screws like small handles. Was a little worried as I have had issues getting binocluras in focus for each eye but no problem with these as there is a good focus range on the eyepieces.

James - hopefully be sorting something out with Steve for this week, and if that goes well, I'll be getting my own binoviewers some time the following week. Will absolutely report back on how I get on.

The ability to merge the images is something I'd read about too... fingers crossed I won't be affected, but it's so good being given the opportunity to try them out first, will most definitely save me from a rather expensive mistake if they turn out to not be suitable. So big thanks to Steve for helping me out here :p

First of all a massive thanks to Steve for coming round yesterday evening to let me try out his binoviewers. I often can't get over how incredibly helpful everyone is on this forum with advice and offers of help but even given that, this really was above and beyond so honestly a huge, huge thank you Steve. ;):p And also to have the chance to chat to someone about my new hobby without getting the glazed looks I'm learning to recognise from my friends and family was really lovely, so thanks for that too !! :eek::D

As to the binoviewers, I can report good things :eek:

First of all, I found them very easy to set up, and with Steve's advice about how to get them properly focused, they were fitted in the scope in no time at all. They do indeed fit absolutely fine in my 6SE and I was really pleased that I could achieve focus both with and without the supplied short barlow (x1.6 I think?). I was also very pleasantly surprised with the weight, I had expected them to be a lot heavier, are really quite light.

Each eyepiece holder has an individual focuser as well, which I didn't need to fiddle with too much as I was wearing my contact lenses and both eyes were already corrected to the same level. However, there did look like there was a lot of focus movement for each eye, certainly a lot more than I have on my normal binos, which when I'm not wearing my lenses there is only just enough focus travel for the right eye to get it matched with the left (my prescription is quite a bit different between the left/right eye). Steve did mention though he has the same issue with different left/right eye prescription, and has had no trouble getting both eyepieces to focus, so I'm pretty confident this will be fine even when I'm not wearing my lenses.

My biggest fear was not being able to merge the images, but again this came really easily after I'd adjusted the eyepiece distance. So in terms of "technical" set up up, all good and working perfectly ;)

As for the views, the first thing I noticed was that the image appears quite a bit darker than with a single eyepiece, but actually once I'd got used to that difference I didn't really notice it too much. Where the real benefit came for me though was that it felt like a much more natural and comfortable way of viewing objects and that I was actually taking in a lot more of the view in the eyepiece as well. I didn't feel like I was straining the one eye to get the best of the view, it was just naturally there.

I didn't really check out too many targets (thought I should let Steve go home at some point!!), but we had a look at both M13 and Albireo. M13 was OK but not fantastic however I could just about resolve some stars. I do normally view M13 with a higher power mag though, so the view was about on par with a similar mag with a one piece. The view of Albireo though with the surrounding star field was just stunning, something I could have looked at all night. A definite big improvement to looking through with the one eyepiece. It's a shame neither the moon nor jupiter was in view at the time to have a look at, as I suspect they would have been absolutely incredible viewed through the binos. That seemed to match Steve's thoughts that the binos really come into their own with the planets and the moon.

So in summary I was really impressed with the binoviewers, really easy to set up and use and the wider field and natural way of observing huge plus points. So an easy decision now for me to get myself some of my own, and as I'm nipping up to Green Witch hopefully next Wednesday, I'll be picking some up at the same time. Just need to look at getting some mid/high power plossls to match a couple I already have, so I have a wider range of mags than just the standard 20mm it comes with.

And just on a side note... Steve did also bring along a focal reducer that he'd just bought for me to try, and have to say that when we had that on the scope with the binoviewers (but without the barlow) the view of Albireo was so stunning that it took my breath away. Damn... something else to put on my wish list !! ;)

So thanks again to Steve, there really is no substitute for trying equipment out first, so am very grateful indeed. And for sure if I can ever return the favour, give me a shout !

:):)

Great report Matsey, looks like I'll have to get a pair myself. I use a binocular microscope at work all day so am well aware of the advantages of 2 eyes over one. I get the occasional person I teach who has to look down one eyepiece only, but most seem to handle the two.

Matsey, I was more than happy to assist, after all I've had plenty of help from forum members myself so consider it simple payback (albeit in person).

I did manage a quick session using the binoviewers and focal reducer on my 6" sct, especially as Jupiter was clearly visible and very bright. Clearest viewing I've had of a planet so can't wait for the moon to poke its little face out again.

If it remains clear over the next few days I'll check the binos with my other scopes and especially my PST. I can only imagine how much better the binos would be with a bigger aperture to overcome the reduced light to each eye as that would make dso viewing that much better.

Archived