Please help! (EQ5)

Hi all, It seems my inexperience with EQ mounts has been the root of all my problems. Having aligned I then started the scope (as per the instructions with the mount) from that position assuming that was the starting place. Having watched Astonomy Shed's videos and seen your comments I'll then ask the mount to park, release the clutches and manually reset to home and start alignment from there.

Many thanks all! I'll let you know if I have any problems tonight (clouds allowing!)

Piers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jiggy. Gladly! Best advice was to watch Astronomy Shed's videos on YouTube. He's re-done the video there is a link to in the thread and there are now five in a row dealing with all aspects of alignment and setup. Part 1 is here:

Complete Mount & Scope Setup. PART ONE - YouTube

I'd read the guides with my kit and was aligned okay, my problem was a basic lack of understanding about the start position of the scope. These videos show how to precisely set that up. That said, I went through everything everyone suggested until I realised that I had that wrong!

Not managed a 3-star alignment yet, but the two was so good for visual use (I've not balanced up for use with my DSLR yet) that it didn't matter. I went in and watched Spooks, came back and the drift was minimal. I love this mount! It's so superior to my old AZ GoTo. I did sneak a 2min shot of Andromeda before the clouds rolled in. First of many, I hope... (Shamefully poor so I won't share).

Archived