Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Optimum SLR camera mount ?

buzz

I might be new to astronomy but an old pro at photography.

I would reckon the optimum mount for a SLR onto a equatorial mount would be to have a sturdy aluminium plate, with a ridge on the back (anti rotation device), a slot for the 1/4 whitworth to go though, so that the ridge nestles against the back (or front) of the camera. On the underside, a vixen or lozmandy dovetail and an an Allen headed bolt.

ADM's attachment is not good enough - anyone know of such a device as I describe?

• 2 weeks later...

I use the larger Manfroto B&S heads on a length of dovetail. Once the mount is PA's and tracking you have the freedom to point the camera at any part of the sky .. this means that you can largely avoid the "dreaded" meridian flip... which for me is handy as my best sky views are around the meridian...

Peter...

Ball and sockets....abandoned manfrotto many moons ago. Tend to use Swiss Arca and acratech these days but not for a 300 on an EOS. I think a tube ring and solid mount is the way to go now.

Archived