NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skyview Pro interfaced to PHD

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I looked back several pages, and used the search function as well, and did not see anything exactly like this question.

I have an Orion SkyView Pro GEM . It does not have "goto" capabilities, but you push it to a spot in the sky, engage the clutches, and the hand-controller and motors do a fair job of keeping things in the view.

I would LOVE to extend my astro-photo exposures to longer than 90 seconds, but I am afraid that precise polar alignment and PEC is virtually out of the question.

Would it be possible to wire up some kind of controller that could be used with PHD or similar software to drive the existing RA and DEC motors? The plan would be to manually point the scope at a target, fine tune the pointing with the hand controller, and then engage PHD to guide the scope through a photo session.

Has anybody done this before ? If I have to spend the money for a "goto" upgrade ( if this is even available ) I would just as soon get a heavier mount WITH "goto" capabilities. I cannot imagine that this SHOULD be necessary.

I have been in electronics all my life, so making an interface would not be all that difficult for me, hopefully. I'm looking for some advice, hopefully from someone who has been down this path before.

Thanks in advance.

Jim S.

The Orion Skyview Pro mount is the same as the Skywatcher EQ5 so it will be possible to modify the basic dual axis handset to include a ST4 port for autoguiding. These are the instructions for the modification http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/eq_mod.pdf. You will also need an autoguider and a dedicated guide cam with a built in autoguider.

Peter

Archived