Binocular help

I'm new to all things astronomical and am looking to purchase a pair of binoculars to get me started.

I'm considering Opticron Imagic TGA WP 10x42, or their 10x50 binoculars which I think cost in the region of £150.

This is the upper end of my budget but they do seem a good buy and would also be useful for general viewing.

I would welcome any thoughts or alternative suggestions.

Thank you in anticipation.

Andy.

For similar money I just bought a pair of Revelation 50 x 70's, and L adaptor and a Horizon mount. I am really impressed with my first views, I think the mount makes a huge difference to handheld. My plan is to stick them in the car over winter to use during the long nights.

John

I use the "standard" 8x42's. Work well for astronomy and everything else.

If you go for 15x70's you will need a tripod as objects bounce round if you hand hold them.

Binoculars give a different problem on astro objects in that you tend to look at a very specific point, the rest of the sky being ignored so apparent movement is much more pronounced.

Using binoculars during the day tends to be a case of following something that is moving or where slight movement from you is irrelevant

I've got a couple of monoculars I got of eBay for under £12 each, they are really good, easier to steady that binos better for carriage, might be worth alook.

These sound interesting. What are they called? Be nice to have something like that in my kit bag! can you link to them on eBay? Cheers.

I have the 15x70 celestrons and went on to buy the l adapter and horizon mount which i absolutely love, altogether i spent about £160. Definately a good starting point i think as iv really enjoyed the last few month with mine, well few real viewing nights anyway lol

i have the imagic 10x50, and you'd have to prise them from my cold dead hands. i've looked through the celestron 15x75s, and prefer the opticrons. much brighter image i thought, despite the smaller aperture. though this was a gut reaction from a relative novice based on a few minutes of view - don't take it as any kind of proper assessment.

i can hand hold them fine, but a £10 monopod from amazon really steadies things up and makes you realise what you're missing if you use them without support. though walls of the right height can be used for this purpose and cost nothing.

Archived