SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC6992 Eastern Veil Nebula

SlipperySquid

Hi again all,

Well it's been a while since I have gathered enough data to make a postable image but after much messing about with scope swapping and giving in to the idea that the HEQ5 will not support my 200P with all the gubbins attached, I swapped back to the Megrez 72 and pointed her towards Cygnus and the Eastern Veil!

The image is slightly cropped due to the subs taken from previous nights did not align correctly (I tried my best honest guv!).

So I 3hours of data in each channel (6 hours total for those of you not up on the math :) )

18x10 minute subs in Ha

18x10 minute subs in OIII

Mapped to Red= Ha

Green=OIII

Blue= OIII

Lost about an extra 40 mins of subs in each channel due to cloud.

Subs Captured,Stacked and calibrated in MaximDL with Flats,Darks and Bias frames.

Processed within PIXINSIGHT and Photoshop with no noise reduction on the nebula (a first for me :) ) slight gradient removed with DBE tool within Pixinsight.Also used starmask and MorphologicalTransformation tool to reduce stars by 30%

Took all day to process this one I have at least ten versions! and this is the one I like the best as there's stacks of little filament detail to be had!

Would love to know how I can pull the star colour out a bit more I know they will just be red or greenish but I don't like the coloured halo's around the stars (Peter Shah did show me at SGL6 but I can't remember how to do it :) sorry Peter, I've had a sleep since then)

Waffle over, any tips or critique greatly accepted.

Matt.

post-17960-133877663163_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comment Peter really appreciate it :),

You did show me a routine to pull the outer halo colour into the star can't for the life of me remember how to do it!

Matt.

Stick with the "MorphologicalTransformation" the Photoshop one uses a MASK and the minimize filter, not elegant but its works...

The "MorphologicalTransformation" tool is much better in my opinion, just use PS for the final polishing of the pixels;)

Thanks Neil and Olly,

Really apprecaite the feedback but I have decided after looking at Neils Ha stack I need a little bit more data to bring out some fainter area's just outside the main nebula, there is no way I can let the plastic ex northener that is Mister Hankey out "whispyness" me on the eastern veil front :glasses2:. I see many a sleepless night ahead with the to'ing and fro'ing of emails between Neil and my good self asking how much data one might have collated and if a sneaky preview looksee might be in order! :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

and clear skies to you all......except Neil ;) Hahaha

Heh heh. OK you need more data. Who doesn't? (I'm not saying anything about my next project because the data requirement is ludicrous and I might just not find myself up for it!)

On the other hand it's the Broom that really responds to the long, long seige mentality. You seem to be pretty deep to me on that side of the Veil.

Olly

I'm really suprised how many photons the little 72mm has grabbed on this nebula but there is a little line of Ha that runs across the top of the nebula that I would like to emphasize and the fainter filaments towards the middle. Neil has the edge on me with aparture and resolution but he needs a kick up his posterior to get back into the garden and start imaging again instead of just baffling me with all the sceince that surrounds it, arc seconds this, photons that...I know whippets and ferrets and that's my lot :glasses2:

Looking forward to your next project Olly, I'm gradually coming around to the more serious side of imaing now, that is to say longer overall exposure times and learning to be more patient and sticking to one subject.

The results really do show with easier processing and greater depth of detail.

Clear skies,

Matt.

Archived