Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focuser for 8" Orion Dob

rabbithutch

My scope is vintage late '80s or early '90s. I purchased it used. It is well cared for and came with several ep's (one very good one) and a Telrad, covers, cases, etc. - all good kit.

The focuser, however, is driving me mad. It is not a Crayford type. I must slide the ep up and down in the barrel then fine focus. I find this very difficult to do and very frustrating. I'm still have enough trouble locating objects in the sky. Having then to fiddle interminably with focusing puts me off.

So, I'm thinking of searching for a Crayford-style focuser to replace the original. I have never modded a scope and have no idea what to expect, what precautions to observe, even what specifics to seek.

I would very much appreciate suggestions for learning what I need to know to make an economic purchase as well as suggestions as to specific gear and where to shop for it. I am open to second-hand gear to keep costs down, if possible. Please note that I am in the States (Texas).

TIA

Archived