NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on a new Dob

After a while of being without a scope ( again) I have decided I am going to get another dob. With the new Goto Skyiners, I could get a scope that shows me around the sky but, when I want to take over and use it manually, can I?

Will I be able to use it like a standard dob and disconnect the motors, or will there be extra drag if they are permanently connected?

Or maybe an Orion Intelliscope. No motors, but easy to locate objects and track them as normal ( can't afford the Goto Orions).

Its the "finding" part I am more interested in really, the "following " bit would be a bonus.

Any advice / tips welcome.

Allan

Yup - the SW Flextube Auto dobs can be moved with the motors engaged and it will continue tracking fine where ever you point it to. No disengagement of motors required.

The encoders "remember" all movements electronic or manual, so in theory it should work the same with the goto handset attached. My only reservation is that I never actually tried it with the goto - must remember to test that next time I'm out with it :(

Yup - the SW Flextube Auto dobs can be moved with the motors engaged and it will continue tracking fine where ever you point it to. No disengagement of motors required.

The encoders "remember" all movements electronic or manual, so in theory it should work the same with the goto handset attached. My only reservation is that I never actually tried it with the goto - must remember to test that next time I'm out with it :(

Does that mean I could just use it as a standard dob without turning the handset on and aligning, as a quick ( ish ) grab-n-go scope?

Allan

Allan

Are you aware of Neil English's book 'Choosing and using a Dobsonian Telescope'? Very informative reading (the technical paragraphs in the 'Image quality' section, however, were a little OTT); dobs from 3-50 inch were covered in fair depth with an interesting slant, throughout the book, on mass manufactured dobs vs amateur-made dobs.

I was considering getting a dob and, from what I read, the Meade LightBridge range are pretty decent. If it's 'goto' you're after then you might want to consider the Orion XXg range (some say, however, that the goto on a dob is about as reliable as a plumber's estimate). Or, if you have a few more pennies and want a quality product, then check out David Lukehurst's dobs.

- Pete

Are you aware of Neil English's book 'Choosing and using a Dobsonian Telescope'? Very informative reading (the technical paragraphs in the 'Image quality' section, however, were a little OTT); dobs from 3-50 inch were covered in fair depth with an interesting slant, throughout the book, on mass manufactured dobs vs amateur-made dobs.

I was considering getting a dob and, from what I read, the Meade LightBridge range are pretty decent. If it's 'goto' you're after then you might want to consider the Orion XXg range (some say, however, that the goto on a dob is about as reliable as a plumber's estimate). Or, if you have a few more pennies and want a quality product, then check out David Lukehurst's dobs.

- Pete

Hi Pete

I've had a couple of Dobs both 10 inch and 12 so know what to expect with viewing, 10 will be fine for me now. It was just whether it was practical to get a Goto for the occasions I can't find what I was looking for. I will mostly be using it manually, hence my question about movement with the motors off.

Allan

I think it was the setting up of my previous goto scopes that got me fed up with them on occasions. Great when they work fine, which they do most of the time, but occasionally, it was just too much bother to get it out for an hours observing.

I didn't have the patience to sit around searching for stuff, although when i did and found something I wanted, it was a great feeling, and it teaches you the sky.

I am looking for something I can use manually as well as with some sort of goto function and after lots of brain wracking and research, i reckon the simple object locator in the Orion Intelliscopes is what I am looking for.

So, time to save some dosh and I will be ordering the 10" version soon.

Allan

Archived