My new SW Equinox ED80

Well I finally made my mind up and bought a SW Equinox ED80 Pro on Monday. On taking it out of the aluminium case I was immediately impressed with the build quality, the finish is top class and even the feel of the dew shield as it slides up oozes quality.

Despite the intermittant cloud and gales I set it up that night and nervously focused on the full moon wondering if there would be any of the coma that I've heard so much about regarding refractors.

I needn't have worried - not a trace of any false colour - I think I'm really going to like this scope :(

Anyway enough of that - here's my question

I want to try some astro photo's with it & my EOS 500D - Can anyone out there tell me if I will need any extension tubes to reach focus or will any T adapter work ?

You don't need an extension tube (with or without the flattener/reducer) as there is enough focusser travel.

However, I would suggest that if you get the focal reducer the adapter:

First Light Optics - FLO Adapter for Skywatcher Focal Reducers

saves a huge amount of time faffing about screwing the reducer on and off the end of the scope - basically it converts it to a simple push-fit and allows much easier rotation of the camera should you need it.

PS You will love the ED80 for both imaging and observing.

Love the Equinox series of scopes- a lot of 'bang for the buck' as they. I am considering the ED66 or ED80 to complement my ED120 but short term I got an ST80 as a guide scope (arrived today).

Quality wise the ST80 is in a different league compared to the Equinox series.

The Skywatcher reducer/flattener won't work on the Equinox 80 - the focal length is not the same on the Equinox as it is on the ED80 Pro that it was designed for.

The plain Skywatcher flattener, however, should work as the Equinox lies only just outside the designed for focal ratio.

A TRF-2008 reducer/flattener would be perfect (though a lot more expensive).

Archived