NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronimic clip filter and modding a 1000d

earth titan

I mentioned to SWMBO, that some people modify their cameras to improve astro performance. From the look I got, this won't be happening if it makes it more difficult to use in daytime mode.

If I were to mod it, would the fitting of astronomic clip filters allow it to function in the day time? If so, which ones?

If I don't mod the camera, which filters would work well?

Are they simple and quick to fit and remove (i.e. Practical to switch out at the end of a session)?

Thanks.

If you modded the 1000D, you really don't need to add filters to use it for "family" shots, just re-adjust the Custom White Balance (CWB) - works well.

The clip in filters work as it says on the lid...just push and clip - no tools just finger pressure.

Problem is, as the camera has to be operable by SWMBO it must remain point and shoot. If all the filters come out then the lens won't autofocus and standard 'idiot mode' will not allow custom WB (as I understand). Therefore, I wondered if the filters available might return it to normal.

By standard Idiot mode, I guess you meen the green rectangle setting in which case your right CWB won't work...

The least complicated mode that it will work in is "P" program mode .. but you would ideally have to do a new CWB everytime you the lighting source changes... daylight to artificial etc...

I shoot in raw so the whole WB argument almost disappears as you sort it out as part of the "development" process when you open up the raws...

I also guess that the "idiot mode" images are being taken in Jpeg format.. in which case the WB adjustments are made in camera...

Peter...

Archived