Red light torch

I recently subscribed to Sky at Night mag and was sent a red light headtorch through the post as my free gift. I've used it a couple of times and found it very dim, and with my ageing eyesight not great when I'm reading small print, as on a star atlas or planisphere.

This got me thinking about red lights and, irritatingly I remembered how many red LEDs I've got kicking around for use on my bikes.

These are a lot brighter than the head torch, but normally a lot cheaper.

I haven't had a chance to use one of my cycling LEDs yet, due to clouds, but I'm curious about how much effect the brighter red light will have on my night sight.

Any opinions?

From what I understand if the red light is to bright it will still effect your night vision. I use a Petzl head torch Buy Torches Variable brightness LED headtorch,3 AAA Petzl E97PM Tikkaplus2 online from RS for next day delivery. with a single red LED but as soon as I tried it in the dark it was obviously way too bright. I have since stuck brown electrical insulating tape over it to bring the brightness right down

I'd recommend one of these

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I bought it recently and the red light is just about right for use, bright enough to read anything and adjusting scope but not too much that its blinding.

Only downside is that there are two white LEDs which you have to go through first so its best to set it to red then take it out

Archived