Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Drizzle

TheThing

Anyone using the Frizzle facility with Autosuitr/Envisage from Meade at all?

Are you using it without controlling the mount at all? How are you finding it?

I have a motor driven mount only, so I'm wondering if this will be a slight solution towards non-GOTO. The manual seems to suggest it's good enough for 15 sec exposures.

Would I be right in assuming that polar alignment is still pretty critical?

I don't understand the question. Drizzle (at least as I use it) is a stacking algorithm which cleverly derives sub pixel resolution from a stack of images provided the images in the stack are not precisely aligned. If you are using long FL webcam images they won't be. The seeing will see to that. If you are stacking DS images then you will need to dither guide between frames to make sure there is a slight shift to ensure each pixel samples a different part of the sky in each member of the stack.

I can't see any rapport with GoTo in Drizzle.

I use it on my solar (and occasional lunar) images and it's the only free lunch in imaging, I'd say! Activate it in Registax and your final image pops out four times the size by area at improved resolution. Incredible. I laughed out loud the first time I used it.

Olly

Have to agree with Olly here Hugh. There's a drizzle function in DSS and all it does is increase the size of the image without losing any quality. It's got nothing to do with tracking quality or polar alignment.

Frizzle on the other hand, is something I don't have to contend with nowadays due to the lack of hair!

Tony..

Drizzle in relation to Meade DSI ccd cameras using Envisage operates whilst taking the images.Envisage stacks images on the fly and Drizzle is used to align those images whilst stacking.

I dont think GOTO has any bearing on that,

Best to have a look at the Yahoo DSI forum.

RonJ

Yes, you can use Drizzle to control some Meade mounts. The DSi with Envisage will send controls to the mount to make mosaics etc.

But that's by-the-by though, I'm looking for advice from anyone who uses one without that capability. Just uses the Drizzle feature to help with tracking that's a bit off.

Apologies for not explaining clearly. And for frizzle! Auto correct on the iPhone. You've got to laugh!

I use it on my solar (and occasional lunar) images and it's the only free lunch in imaging, I'd say! Activate it in Registax and your final image pops out four times the size by area at improved resolution. Incredible. I laughed out loud the first time I used it.

Olly

Oohhhh! must try this. Sounds like a "must use" for me.

Drizzle is a term invented by the Hubble imaging team who contrived this way of finding sub pixel resolution in under sampled images. In imaging it isn't in any way a brand name but a description of a mathematical technique. It is offered by a whole range of stacking software programmes like Maxim, AstroArt, DSS, etc etc. Meade do have a habit of playing fast and loose with language as was the case when they tried to call a modified SCT a Ritchey Chretien and were brought to book. Here's a good explanation of the real Drizzle;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drizzle_(image_processing

Olly

Archived