Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Samsung SCB-2000P Dis-assembly and IR Filter Removal

Psychobilly

This Post/Thread was originally in the Video Astronomy Social Group and has been copied over into the new sub-forum

I decided to to take my SCB-2000P apart for a look around...

Unlike the 4000 series cams it doesn't have a switchable filter just a fixed one and for astro use I think I will prefer to take care of the filtering myself by using a 1.25" filter in the C-T adaptor I bought from Bern at Modern Astronomy.... I am hoping that It may be possible to do IR pass work for lunar...

It will take me a while to sort out the photos and annotate them but I will post them later...as I took photos of the re-assembly rather than the dis-assembly as it was a case of finding out what screws did what...

OK here goes... No warranties etc .. all mods are at your own risk

Disconnect camera from power supply... The actual innards on top of the camera PCB will depend on the power supply type of the camera

Stage 1

SCB-2000%20Stage1.jpg

STAGE 2

SCB-2000%20Stage2.jpg

STAGE 3

SCB-2000%20Stage3.jpg

Sorry missed a pic that clearly shows the four screws holding the PCB but they are the ones in the corners...

STAGE 4

SCB-2000%20Stage4.jpg

STAGE 5

SCB-2000%20Stage5.jpg

Re-assembly is the reverse of the Dis-assembly...

I don't know what the transmission spectrum of the filter was and I can no longer get use to the Spectrum analyser and filter test bench that I used to have in a previous life...

Now to see if it still works ... :eek:

Camera still works :D

No problems getting focus with the two C mount lenses I bought to go with it.

The Colour balance doesn't look to bad considering the camera is full spectrum.

Had to turn the brightness down as the auto exposure isn't as accurate as when the filter was in place.

The camera now clearly shows the output flashes of an IR remote control...

All I need now is clear skies to put it on a scope :(

So what does removing the filter allow you to do...?

IR Pass videography using IR filters...

I have just been trying the camera in daylight....

The WB needs to be done manually and reasonable results are obtained on buildings , birds etc with plants and foliage becomes "white" due to the increased IR sensitivity...I did have a color test chart somewhere but cant put my hands on it at the moment...

If I can dig out a t-mount lens i will try some IR pass on "hot" objects... or i might "jury rig" a filter into the C - M42 adaptor that I have which might turn into a machining project for later on if it works out...

Anyway.. turns out that one of My C-M42 is made up using the inner parts of a Standard T-mount so that i can split any t-mount and mount any of the Canon , Nikon and Minolta lenses that I have on it...

So a couple of mins on the lathe and I had modified it to take 1.25" filters... I just used a cheapo green filter whilst "fitting" and used a black perm marker to cover the shinny aluminium surfaces...

Modified%20C-Anything%20Adaptor.jpg

I then dug out a Fujinon 55mm M42-lens and fitted An Astronomik Planet IR Pro 742nm IR Pass Filter...

SCB2000%20-%20With%20Adaptor.jpg

And tried a bit of IR Pass Videography....

SCB-2000%20742nm%20IR%20Pass.jpg

Here's a quick example of a temperature controlled soldering iron tip shot in total darkness... with a 742 nm IR pass filter fitted to the camera - excuse the blurry pics handheld at 0.4s

400C

400c.JPG

450C

450c.JPG

You really need to use manual exposure on the Camera as the AE gets really confused but it certainly looks quite promising for Lunar and might have to try and get hold of a cheap 30nm Ha filter in 1.25"...

Should also be ideal for IR night time nature work... I use IR leds in work so can easily knock up some IR floodlights...

I might have to go for a 4000 series as well at this rate...

Peter...

• 2 weeks later...

As Mike has found out in the other thread removing the filter can mean that you loose infinity focus with some cctv camera lenses... I have no issue with either of the lenses that I use.

There is a considerable variation in the back focus requirements of various CCTV lenses ( thats why the lens mount is adjustable on the cameras - slaken the silver srews onthe sides of the lens mount and turn the silver ring) so it will be worth checking it out before purchasing the lens if you are planning on removing the filter...

The lens mount sensor distance need to be shortened when you remove the filter by 1/3 of the filter thickess.

I guess one possible option is to machine back the front casting where the lens mount screw in...

Peter...

Archived