NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nexstar 8SE

The Nexstar 8SE would be good for planetimaging right ?

I mean its f/9 but you can put a focal reducer on it and make it a f/4.9

I am trying to combine both visual but also imaging quality in one scope. I am not looking for the best, just something where I can enjoy visual sights and do a little imaging.

And the Nexstar 8SE seems like a good buy for the price. Later on if I get interested I can add a wedge for long exposures.

But how far out can you see deatails on planets with an 8SE ?

I think all the Celestron 8" SCT's (including the 8SE) are F/10. The F/6.3 focal reducer does what it says so you get an F/6.3 scope when it's in place.

I had my best ever views of Saturn with an older Celestron C8 but it's important to keep the scopes in good collimation to get the best planetary performance from them.

I'm not an imager but, if you want to go that way in the future, it might be best to plan to put the scope on a equatorial mount.

It should be good for both those types of objects, providing the collimation is good. What you can actually see on any particular night though will depend on the seeing conditions as much as anything.

i`ve an 8 se scope but now on a heq5 mount, and it`s a great all rounder scope, i`ve imaged m51 with a f6.3 reducer on and it filled the screen with my meade dsi mono ccd, it`s an f10 scope so using a barlow to increase it to f20 or mre is good for planetary imaging with a cheep philips webcam. ypu need more f ratio for planets and less for deep sky objects, the f6.3 reducer can also be used for visual work inceasing the field of view, i`ve bought a f3.3 reducer to use when imaging now which should help when using it for dso imaging but i haven`t had chance to try it out yet. so if you are looking for a good all rounder then the 8 inch sct`s are good

Archived