Auto and Goto

Hi, 'scuse this dumb question, I am struggling with this wealth of modern gizmos and terminology- -

I have been looking at Skyliner dobs and one variety is described as 'Auto' which I think is computer controlled automatic tracking. So, ok, I presume that once set up and aligned I whizz it round till I find the object then engage (like in StarTrek ?!!) the Auto and that keeps the object in the field of view (although with field rotation so photography is out) ?am I right so far?

Then there is another variety described as 'Goto', which I think that, when correctly aligned, I enter a request into its computer database and it will then go find that object and it should then magically be within the field of view ?

So, my big question, will the Goto telescope then continue to track and keep the object within view having found it for me? ie is it a goto+auto function.

Logically I would expect it to, having found it, keep it in view. But none of the websites say this !

Thanks, I feel a bit daft having to even ask this !! But you know what glossy sales lit. can try to get away with these days ! Like - it might say "OK I found it for you, now you go follow it " !

Hi John, thanks , go onto the split levels, drill south through the hillside and you'll pop out in my garden !:)

Malcolm.

Almost a neighbour then - my other half is from Nailsea :(

May see you around some time :D

The goto scopes will "goto" or "push to" and continue to track - don't have to disengage or engage anything - it follows all movements manual or otherwise so long as it's aligned and remains swiched on. Hope that helps :)

(The Auto is "push to" only with tracking - ie no "goto")

or "push to" and continue to track
Ah yes I see thanks, I had missed that implication, so I can use the goto to find a convenient object, then use the controller, or physically push, to go nearby and let the computer+mount continue to track my field ! clever!!
Hope that helps
Yes, a lot, ta.

@John >"my other half is from Nailsea"

Ah, condolences, I was one of the last Kings of Cumberland before I was kidnapped & taken south by a lass from near Thornbury, LOL.

Almost a neighbour then - my other half is from Nailsea :)

May see you around some time :(

PS. I sometimes go over to the Caswell Lane region for views below (S. of) Polaris, can I 'phone you to switch off Portishead ?lol!

I've seen some good aurora and NLC from there,, and SN2011fe may require my attention soon ! :D

Archived