Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Battery help for HEQ5 Pro mount

Hi Everyone,

Could someone please put my mind at rest regarding this

power unit running a HEQ5 Pro mount I,ll hopefully be using

an inline fused 5amp cigarette apadter plug for safety if

its compatable.

Thankyou BBo

uty 6in1 Jump Starter with Air Compressor and 140W Invertor Free Delivery : InCar Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin

Hi Bbo,

I have the yellow one of Maplin with the analogue meter and light at the front, and a air pump hidden inside.

I have three of them for various uses, but I fund it is not powerful enough for the HEQ5 pro or NEQ6 mounts as they pull constantly about 2 amps. With the capacity specified (17Ah) this should reach for 8.5 hours, but in practice after 3 hours latest the mount LED starts blinking, and shortly after that it goes off.

Yours in the link has only 8 Ah, so even if the batteries have a better quality, it would feed your mount for a maximum of four hours.

I bought a leisure battery - mine was a half price offer at GoOutdoors (a camping store). Gives me 80 Ah and it is quality without gimmicks (torch, air pump, electric train ...) so that all money spent is invested in the battery itself.

EDIT: The one linked by "bizibilder" below is as mine, just mine is yellow and has an air pump in it. Handy to pump the observatory wheels, but the battery is too weak to be used with the NEQ6 pro for a considerable time.

I powered my NEQ6 pro at Dalby Starfest for two half nights, no sign of fatigue.

This one:

3in1 Portable Jumpstarter : InCar Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin

Does the job for considerably less money (and you don't need the compressor or inverter for astro use). As above - the leisure battery is the ideal - at least 75Ah but 100Ah is better.

A leisure battery is designed for boats and caravans to allow a slow draw of a lowish current for a considerable time - just like a scope mount. The jump starters are really designed for a quick "oomph!!" and then recharge. Don't forget you need to factor in the cost of a proper charger/conditioner for your battery.

Thankyou Valleyman,

It puts me at ease knowing I,ll not fry my new to be mount.

Im just a willing pupil in the forum at the moment, you guys are

the teachers,Im just really thankful that all this knowledge is

here to tap into and I mean that very sincerely.

Thankyou BigBlueOne.

Archived