HEQ5 Mount on a Dob

I have a 8" dob and am thinking of putting it on a HEQ5 pro for astrophotography with eventually getting a smaller 80mm Ed refractor and was wondering if this is the right way to go about it and if the dob is compatible with the mount for astrophotography. Any comments appreciated, thanks.

You will need a couple of tube rings and a dovetail plate as well. If you tell your supplier the diameter of the tube he should be able to supply the correct rings. The dovetail should be at least 300mm long for an 8" scope. It will work well - a "Dob" is only a normal Newtonian reflector on a Dobsonian mount, hence the term "Dob".

Spaceboy zooms ahead of me!!!!!

IMO, an 8" f6 tube is too bulky & heavy for a HEQ5 in regard to DSO imaging. Also, at 1200mm the focal length of the scope would make imaging a bit tricky as the longer the focal length, the more accurate your tracking/guiding has to be. I'd wait until you can get the ED80 and save yourself a world of potential pain.

Tony..

Archived