EQ mount question

I'm looking into the type of mount that I may use and just want to check my thinking please...

Am I right in thinking a Skywatcher EQ5 or HEQ5 mount can have the GOTO bits added at a later date?

Also, can say a 6" or 8" Newt tube be used on either mount or are there different fittings that I have to consider?

Many thanks.

If you have a look at FLO`s web site you will find there are the GOTO kits available for the Skywatcher EQ5 series of mounts at just short of £300, there should be no problem with attaching either scope to these mounts as the fittings are of a standard type.

Yes you can upgrade the EQ5 to a full goto at around £300. Both mounts will take an 8" reflector, but ideally the EQ5 would be best suited to visual observing with a scope that size. Also the motors in the HEQ5 goto have far more precision and with the 18KG load capacity make for an excellent imaging platform.

If an imaging platform is something you're considering at some point, the the heq5 syntrek has all the same mechanicals and on mount electronics as the goto version, just not the handset. You can add goto with a cheap laptop, how I've done it.

Thanks for the replies.

If I am honest, an HEQ5 GOTO would break the bank at the moment unless an amazingly good deal came up secondhand.

If an EQ5 goto with a 6" OTA came up I think that would be the one that I would go for. That would give me the best compromise. I could always add goto later once I could afford it.

Of course, I would seriously consider an EQ5 with an 8" OTA too if one came up at the right price. I need to get a few more posts under my belt before I can check out the buying & selling area on here. I have got a close eye on Astro buy sell though.

Lee,

There's a chap selling a 150PL on a driven EQ5 with a host of extras like electronic focuser etc..

67098d1315072174-skywatcher-150pl-f8-eq5-dual-axis-drives-img_2315.jpg

67103d1315072174t-skywatcher-150pl-f8-eq5-dual-axis-drives-img_2316.jpg

Hopefully he'll check out this thread and your request (as per your signature). Whilst it's not goto, if you have a laptop or netbook it's simple hook the two up and control it using free software

Archived