NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 - or not?

Had a good few hours last night in clear (ish) skies, got some cracking views of Jupiter, saw 4 of it's moons and got some good colour from it, also saw (just) the GRS so chuffed with that, which I don't think was too bad for my set up with moderate LP.

Any way, went after M31 last night and I think I found it, just like to ask everyone’s opinion of what M31 looks like? What I saw was just a fuzzy blob of light, very faint, could not see it with my eyes but was visible through the finder scope, no amount of magnification brought out any detail (not even a tiny bit), so I am now doubting if it was M31. I used Stellarium to get the general direction, I also used my Wixey to get the altitude and I also used a very bright Jupiter to help me get the area where M31 should be.

I tend to find some websites that you can use to check the views of things a bit hit and miss, so what do you guys and gals think? I know my description is a bit vauge but being at work I can not remember the name of the stars that are near M31 that I used to make sure I was in the right place.

Sounds like M31, it looks like that from my garden. LP really washes the DSO's out. In contrast I was in the North Wales mountains last week with a pair of bins at night and M31 was just stunning.

Ohh thats makes me feel so much better - lol

Think i am going to have to get myself to a dark site!!!

Archived