Sun with zoom lens.

foundaplanet

This is probably very bad for my camera!

I was out walking today under overcast skies.

I took about 40 random shots at the sun in a point and shoot fashion and hoped for the best (without looking).

I was very suprised when I got home and uploaded them on the laptop to see that I have captured some sun spots.

I got 3 or 4 decent captures as the sun started to appear through the cloud. This is the best of them. I am real chuffed with it!

It was taken at 1/4000 @F20 with a 150-500 zoom.

Pushed up the saturation in photo shop and cropped to center.

Going to have to get a proper sun filter now. I could get into this.

post-26156-133877654902_thumb.jpg

Well done on capturing the spots. The cloud looks to have been thick enough you probably got away with it, but that's a very not good idea for

Any part of the kit, even if you didn't expose the sensor. Get some proper filter and always be cautious and more importantly safe.

For details on the spots take a look at spaceweather.com.

Please be careful.

Get some proper filter and always be cautious and more importantly safe.

Please be careful.

Tell me about it. I have Baader solar film on a small 60mm refractor and I had sunburn on my eye yesterday. The sun was high in the sky and I swear my eye was getting real hot. I checked the film several times in a panic that there was a pin hole but nothing. 99.999 % solar block I must have felt the 00.001 % unblocked yesterday and my eye was sore all day after. It's still sore now. I can only assume there was a solar flare coming straight at us yesterday as I've never had a problem before.

Tell me about it. I have Baader solar film on a small 60mm refractor and I had sunburn on my eye yesterday. The sun was high in the sky and I swear my eye was getting real hot. I checked the film several times in a panic that there was a pin hole but nothing. 99.999 % solar block I must have felt the 00.001 % unblocked yesterday and my eye was sore all day after. It's still sore now. I can only assume there was a solar flare coming straight at us yesterday as I've never had a problem before.

What bit of your eye is sore?

The front of my eyeball. I have sent an email to Baader asking for advice. I doubt I have been effected by the harmful rays as I would assume I'd have lost my eye sight by now. I'm no stranger to Baader film so know how to check it and there were no visible issues. I did notice a slight tingle last time I used it but never experienced a sore eye like this. The only way I can think to explain it is imagine hanging you head out of a moving train or car and the sore feeling you get in your eyes after being battered by the wind but it's only in the eye I used to observe. I wouldn't say my eye was dry it just feels sore. My sclera are not bloodshot and my vision is no worse than it was before and I don't feel like I have arc eye. TBH it has rocked my confidence in Baader solar film. I have used it with out incident for over 12 months but it only takes that one time to mess up my eye sight and no doubt my life.

The sun is something that I have always shied away from, bar taking this picture as it has always worried me.

Yesterdays picture taking has exited me though and I feel I would get a lot of pleasure from looking at and imaging the sun.

I think maybe I will go for one of the glass filters as I feel they are at least hole proof.

We're getting a bit off topic here, as this thread is about foundaplanets image.

However, I always thought sun damage was going to affect the retina more than the front of the eye, as you're focusing the light to come to a point on the back of the eye, not the front. Did you stare for a long time, allowing the front of the eye to dry out ? I'd be getting myself along to the doctors for a check, in case it's something else, like conjunctivitis or some such.

Archived