SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron GoTo CG-5 Mount and Tripod

jaspa

Is this mount any good and will it take a Skywatcher 200 ?

Was going to buy a Skywatcher Explorer 200P (HEQ5) later in the year, reckon it might be a cheaper option to get secondhand of both the above (with the added bonus of goto which is an expensive upgrade on a HEQ5).

Thanks for any opinions. :D

Mark

Given the CG5 has recently dropped in price to £436 (minus any discounts) I think it's an excellent mount. It's not as acurate as the HEQ5 nor have as high a load capacity but for the price.... The equivilent HEQ5 Pro (with GOTO) is nearly twice as much. The non-GOTO version is closer in price and for photography is probably the best bet. If however you are purely a visual observer I would happily go with the CG5 and save your cash. You can happily mount your existing 5" OTA on the mount and add to it later with a new 8" OTA. One thing to note though is the CG5 can be NOISY when slewing.

Mark,

My Celestron C8N (200mm) is on a CG5 mount. I assume the Skywatcher 200 is very similar therefore the mount would be suitable??

One thing of note though - the motor is quite noisy when slewimg to an object (i.e highest speed).

Are you looking at the one on EBay by the way?? Bear in mind that both Adam Hinds and Steve at FLO are doing the mount for about £450 (and don't forget your 10% discount).

Hope this helps.

Bill£

Archived