Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time imaging

oshb5

Hi All

Right another newbie question Lets say I have my scopes. mount. main camera and guide camera all set up ready to guide and all seams to run in unison. Once Iv found a suitable target how do I determine the exposure Jn such as how long should each exposure be or will the s/w work that out for you? and the how many photos of the subject should I take for stacking? I have a single shot color as my main imaging ccd.

I can see its still nowhere done even when you have all the bits pu together. Its ony then when you can start to learn And looks a steep learning curve.Also what s/w would you suggest for a beginner firstlyy in the actual imaging and then for the stacking. I intend to try PHD for the guiding part of the operation

Lastly What you suggest a list of the starter subjects.. Other than the moon that is..

Its all so daunting like looking into the abyss :)

Regards Andy

Andy

I'll have a stab at answering this.

Exposure length and quantity: This will depend on the target. When I first started out I would check what timings others had used on my chosen target using a similar scope. It doesn't take long to get a feel for it. As for quantity, the more the merrier. A minimum of 10 should get you started.

Software: You already have Maxim and PS, this is all you need! Maxim takes a bit of getting used to but it's worth it in the end.

Steve

For all but the very brightest DSOs (M42, I`m looking at you!), start with 3-5 minutes, move up to 10 minutes, as this will allow you to tweak your polar alignment along the way, and get a feel for what you and your kit is capable of doing and what the final processed images turn out like. Take as many of them as you can. And take calibration frames too (flats, bias, darks if required).

Starter objects? Take your pick, they all have something different in them to deal with, and no better way to get that experience than to jump straight in.

If you can autoguide and get your polar alignment accurate (every time!), thats the "scariest" part done and dusted...

I might hava a go at a cluster, the Double Cluster in Perseus coming to mind. It won't take long and will be an easy process. Your refractor should be a good bet.

Achieving an even background sky and round stars should keep you entertained for a while!

Olly

Hi Steve

I dare put money on you being still a lot faster than me how never has before Im just trying to get the guide camera and i will be ready to give it a go..

I could try it with the webcam and uSB lead to the GotoNova handset and all the ascom drivers But think I will wait abd see what comes along and that can be my last ditch back up plan LOL

Thanks and will see you there what pitch number?. regs Andy

Archived