NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Pro too big?

Ags

I was planning on getting a EQ5 Pro but after thinking about potential upgrade paths and also noticing the cheap price of HEQ5 Pro on Teleskop Service, I am now thinking of getting the HEQ5 Pro.

I'm only a bit concerned about the weight difference... I am slightly built and weigh around 60kgs - I'm not exactly into powerlifting! :) My thinking is that whether I got the EQ or the HEQ I would still have to disassemble the thing (down to weights, OTA and mount) prior to moving it. So the greater weight of the HEQ5 would not be an issue. Well, that's the theory anyway. And I will be putting the mount head on a pier so portability would not be an issue after a while.

Can anyone give experiences or wise thoughts?

I have recently bought an HEQ5 pro, and am not very strong. can i recommend a flight case for you to carry the mount head in, as i do. the results, of which astro imaging is all important to me, are well worth all the lugging around.

cheers

bob

I'm a 5' 11" 144lb wimp, and found my HEQ5/pro an easy lift with mount head attached to tripod (i.e. OTA and weights removed, which only takes seconds - just make sure you remove OTA before weights, or gravity does nasty things to your prized 'scope!).

So i'd consider it a pretty portable mount, I doubt you'd have problems with it.

Thanks all, the mount will be mainly for visual observing but I am planning on dabbling in some AP with an ST80 astrograph... I need to see if I can get any good results under my grim urban skies, or if I manage to get away often enough for image runs in the Ardennes before I upgrade from an ST80 to something a bit more special.

Kh3ldar - two flights of stairs? That passes the 'portable enough' test.

I think the real hurdle for me will be to get my head around polar aligning etc. The Nexstar is a dream for quick setups. But I've been told if I want to spend money on the hobby I have to 'take it to the next level' and do more than just casual starspotting. So I think the HEQ5 is the mount for me. It should be able to do everything without hopefully breaking my back.

Having upgraded from an EQ5 to an HEQ5 I would say the HEQ5 is the better option. It's also the cheapest as you then don't have to loose money by selling the EQ5 later, or shell out more cash for an OTA and have two scopes :)

Archived