NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6 thread thread!

sbooder

Finally cross threaded my EQ6 Polar scope cover today. I have no idea how it happened, I am so careful but it just happened. It still stayed on but will not do up all the way now.

Anyone else done this?

re-thread bigger from local machine shop?

Nice thought but I am afraid this would not work. To rethread would mean that the diameters would change, making the inside diameter of the cover bigger and the outside diameter of the housing smaller meaning the two pieces would no longer match, which would make the cover just slip over the top of the housing.

I'm not surprised at the crossthreading, the threads are pretty fine, but despite the cap being plastic, I still think it would take a lot of force to actually strip the thread. Maybe a closer inspection for damage or a thread clean up might make it fit again. Did you replace the narrow ring that goes between the cap and the housing?

I forgot to post the following here this morning, I put it on the EQ6 Yahoo group, so here it is.

"Well wouldn't you know it! I have just disassembled the rear of the RA to

adjust the locking nut (more on that in another thread), and I thought,

while I have it off I will clean both the polar cover and the bit that is

screwed to the RA end.and guess what? Yep it now works again. Just dirt I

suppose?"

Archived