NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dob or ccd imaging

wills

Hi this is my first post. I hope you can help i've been in too astonomy for a while the wife bought me a skywatch 70mm refractor on synscan goto mount which is great at christmas but now i want more i just dont know which way to go i like looking at dso but dont know if i want the hassle of a ccd imaging rig but then on the other hand love the pics in the mag . Im looking to spend between 500- 1000 on kit hope you can shed some light thanks chris

Hmmm... you are at a decision point and only you can decide which way to go because they are two totally different disciplines and no single scope will satisfy both.

You could get a big dob wich would give you amazing views and get a webcam to see what you can do on planets with the 70mm. Is it an EQ mount you have or Alt/Az? And I take it the 70mm is achromatic? :rolleyes:

Edit: Just realised it's your first post - welcome to SGL Wills :)

Hi Wills, welcome to SGL.

Until you are sure which way to go, I wouldn't spend big bucks yet.

One way forward is to join an astronomy club. Most are full of friendly folk, but don't be swayed too much by someone elses way of doing astronomy. The trick is to find your own niche that you are happy in. Clubs often have a mix of armchair / imaging / visual astronomers. Take your time before making your mind up.

Regards, Ed.

Archived