Here is my first solar snapshots.

Cloengaa

So I thought I would try and see what I could do with my SPC900 and the sun. As you all can see I have a lot more to learn but manual tracking because I havent polaraligned is not easy.

SO took 3 snapshots and stacked them. Can see I have to work on my focus some more.

I have a coule questions.

1. How do I get the yellow color ? what filter do I need for that.

2. If I wanted to see flares and prominences what filter do I use ?

post-24305-133877652385_thumb.jpg

post-24305-133877652389_thumb.png

Are you using a Baader solar film filter? I think you'll only see the white colour with that. I've only seen the yellow colour and flares/prominences in proper solar telescopes. I'm no solar expert mind you, but hope that helps :rolleyes:

Ahhh.... lol .... well if you don't have tracking it's gonna be hard to get good focus - but that's a great attempt for manual. If you have an EQ5 mount or equivalent there's some excellent dual axis motors up for grabs in the For Sale section :rolleyes:

I believe the Thousand Oaks glass filter gives you an orange/yellow sun (or just add color as Kev said above), but still only in white light so you won't be able to see more than you already do with the Baader,

Solar Filters

As you said, play a bit more with the focus and the pictures will come out great :rolleyes:

//Anders

Archived