Advice on buying the best 6mm EP for my 200p dob

Good Morning to you all,

After starting a thread on here a couple of weeks back regarding going camping at recommended dark spots i am planning to visit the ones recommended by you fellow SGL members. Next month i will venture out to Fieldhead Campsite, Edale, Peak District for my first "PROPER" night of stargazing (very excited!:rolleyes:) . Now i already have a 10mm + 25mm SW EPs that come with the scope altho not the best they will do for now, i have also bought a BST 12mm and a GSO 32mm EP so I had in mind a maybe a EP's around 6mm to help with viewing planets and wanted to ask if anyone could give me any advice on picking the rite one before i just go out and waste money on somethin useless to my scope. I have a budget of £50 per EP and i believe my scope is a f5.

So as i am a beginner, with your guys n gurls help i want to make sure im fully equiped for a great night of viewing!

any advice on the rite sizes/model of EP to fit within what i already have would be very much appriciaed!!!................also i havnt discounted second hand if anybody has a couple hanging about they may wish to sell,

many thanks!!

mark.

Would have said if the BST is OK then get another at 6mm, then checked Skys the Limit that sell them and they only come in 5mm or 8mm, not 6mm.

How about the TMB planetary's on STL? They have a 6mm offering, little less and in a bigger selection STL do TMB clones as well again 6mm but more EP's at the longer lengths.

Plossls tend to get shorter and shorter eye relief as they get smaller so perhaps not a great idea for 6mm.

Eyepieces are a bit of a gamble, as what one person likes another can dislike. Bit like achro refractors - some find the CA completely spoils everything, others wonder what all the fuss is about.

Hi guys sorry i havnt replied been out all day, i did consider the TMBs but wasnt sure how good they would be of a eye piece as im a beginner and read some mixed reviews but did go over to STL to have a nosey, regarding the barlow who makes a good barlow these days within my budget? It is another option i guess that TBH i never thought of so thanks for that!!

........clouds are clearing up here in chester it could be my 3rd night out practicing! 8-)

Many thanks guys!!

£50 would buy you a used 6mm Baader Genuine Orthoscopic which is optically as good as it gets for under £200. Eye relief and field of view are tight though but thats just the characteristics of the orthoscopic design, not the Baader's fault !.

Other than that the TMB Planetaries will offer pretty good performance for their price bracket and be more comfortable to use than either a plossl or an orthoscopic in that focal length.

While there is some variation due to personal tastes, the majority of the reviews I've read on the TMB Planetaries have been positive which is about as much as you can ask for £50 a throw.

Archived