How can I start?

Hi.

To make it short, I am completely new to astronomy (I don't even know the moon's phases), and I only have a binocular(not even a good one, 8-20x), a compass and Stellarium installed .

Can you guys please lead me to a good introductory book, so I can get started with astronomy?

Hi Patrunjel and welcome to SGL :rolleyes:

The way I did it was by studying and reading for three months before I got a scope. A good magazine to start with would be "Sky at Night". And my first book was "Stargazing with a Telescope" published by Philips and written by R. Scagell. Then I started looking round retailers at the different scopes available. And I asked a lot of questions at the local astronomy society.

It's a steep learning curve but it's a bit like buying a car - many different types and purposes. Feel free to ask any questions you like in here - someone will answer you soon. Best of luck :)

Can you guys please lead me to a good introductory book, so I can get started with astronomy

Personally, I'd leave the books for now - you can't ask them questions. Everybody started out in astronomy knowing the same amount that you do, luckily these days there are websites and forums that will get you going. And they're free. And you don't have to wait for the postman to deliver them.

I'd begin by printing off a star map, either from a website or an astronomy app. Then go outside and match up the brightest stars you can see with what's on the map. That'll give you experience of reading the maps and it'll show you the scale of things in the sky. Getting my head around the size of things in the sky - how far from one constellation to another - was one of my biggest problems when I was starting out.

I'd also look up (again, on the 'net) where your local astronomy clubs are. They usually take a break during the summer, but start up again in September. That's usually the time when new members start to arrive, so the chances are they'll be arranging "newbies" evenings and demonstrations.

After all that, start to think about telescopes ,,,

Starting point would be a book that simply gave you the constellations, then go out and find the easier ones, eyes are good for this as they tend to be too big for binoculars or scope.

Terriable thing to say but I suspect that a childs book is best as that is what they are aimed at, somone who knows almost nothing about the subject. Not putting you down as I am someone that found a programming book in the university library that was presented childlike. I learnt more from that then anything. It assumed that you could read, and turn the pages over. The diagrams had monkeys swinging from trees as I recall. It assumed that you knew NOTHING, absolutly rock bottom. Best book I found and I learnt a lot from it.

Then get a book that says what is in each constellation, just the main things or bigger ones, binoculars are fine for this.

Having said this you are probably sat there thinking I know 3 or 4 constellations. If so you are off the bottom rung of the ladder.

The binoculars are a great start for finding your way around the night sky. As others have suggested, getting some sky charts and relating the sky above to what you see on the chart is always a good foundation for everything else that comes later.

I have been coaching a rank amateur in astronomy. When we started out, he could not even locate the North Star! Now he has a fairly firm grasp on the stars that form the major constellations, and such asterisms as "The Summer Triangle". He is hoping to be a fairly successful astro-photographer, which is a pretty lofty goal ( no pun intended ) for someone who didn't even know the location of a single star in the sky a scant year ago.

If you are near a fairly large city, you should be able to find a local astronomy club. Joining it would be one of the best things you can do. You will find many fellows ( or gals ) that will be very eager to help you learn your way around the night sky, and advise you on obtaining your first telescope when the time comes.

You don't want to make a mistake when purchasing your 1st scope. That is the time when you need the greatest encouragement, and all too often it is a very disappointing time due to mistakes caused by lack of knowlege of what constitutes a good tool.

Again, welcome to the group, and do ask lots and lots of questions. I have only been here a very short time, myself, but have already discovered that this forum is filled with some very great hobbiests !

Jim S.

as i am return from 5 years of inactivity, and with 3 years of observations in my pocket i started again first unpacking my Scope. so that is me, but i think i can share with you some experience.

1.- be patient, be patient

2.- go steep by steep, dont worry if there is a lot of terms, day by day you will learn about.

3.- try out if you read about a contellation go out and try to find it

4.- start with the easy ones, bright stars, contelation, planets.

5.- use the naked eye to explore the sky to get familiar with the shapes

6.- dont hurry to buy a scope, think a lot, in that way you can learn and study wich one is for you, the scope if is not carefuly chosen, will cost a lot of money.

by the way welcome

There is a very basic booklet written by no other than Sir PM, I mentioned it the other day, it is a Philip`s Guide To the Night Sky, covers the Moon, Constellations visible through the four seasons and help on how to navigate your way round, costs only pocket change, if you have no knowledge at all, then this could be just right for you :rolleyes:

John.

Archived