NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Laser Collimator

Dann

This is part a product review and part a write up of how I got on with my first go at collimation.

I ordered this collimator from Rother Valley, I was initially after the Antares model due to seeing an Astronomy Shed video explaining how to collimate and use one.

Unfortunately Rother were out of stock but they suggested the Skywatcher as a replacement. When it turned up it was actually very similar to the Antares model, it looked exactly the same. A little more expensive but it also came with a 2" adapter, first impressions were that it was well made and it felt pretty robust.

First off I made myself a little jig from a piece of wood and a few nails and took to checking the lasers collimation. Our house is very open plan downstairs so I was able to get a nice bit of distance between the collimator and a wall (about 10 meters) I'm not sure if this is overkill but I thought it couldn't hurt. Out of the box the collimator was drawing out a circle about the size of an apple so I had to tweak it a little.

Here is where I noticed a strange thing about this collimator, even thought it has three adjustment screws for collimation they were covered over by, what looked like little rubber plugs. No problem I thought, ill just pop them out. Only they weren't plugs but actually filled over with a rubbery putty. To get at the adjustment screws I had to dig out the rubber with a pin. Not a big problem really, I just thought it strange to include screws for adjustment only to cover them over.

I managed to make adjustments so that it was drawing a circle about the size of a 10p when rotated in the jig.

The collimation of the telescope itself went quite smoothly, I don't know why I had been putting it off. Surprisingly having had the scope for almost 6 months now and carting it up and down stairs countless times its collimation wasn't too far off. One thing I did find quite fiddly was adjusting the secondary, no matter what I did I couldn't quite get the laser point bang in the middle of the primary, its not far off but not perfect. Adjusting the secondary was much easier and I was done. Im yet to do a star test, ill give that a go some time this weekend, weather permitting.

Overall it wasn't the nightmare I imagined and actually quite enjoyable to do some telescope bits and bobs indoors.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one of these up from Astronomia and the collimation was shocking. Credit to the guys at Astronomia they did a quick replacement for me and the 2nd one is much better, I wouldn't say it's perfect though. I kind of wish I put the money towards a decent Cheshire instead.

It has a design weakness as it uses 2 screws to hold the 2" adapter into the focuser, then another screw to hold in the collimator which means the centre of the collimator is probably not in the centre of the focuser. More expensive ones use compression rings which will keep the laser in the centre where it should be.

Battery life seems an issue with these things - Initial forays into collimation can be a tad lengthy! I felt that my (already purchased) Baader Mk.III would be a safer bet. But I'm also wary of the notion that these offer no (albeit unchecked) collimation possibilities... :)

The self-centering device looks useful! Not awfully convinced

by the notion of clamping the laser in ONE position only. :D

Archived