NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ISS and ???

Just watched the 21.26 hrs International Space Station pass (Mag. -3.3). A good way in front of the ISS, in what appeared to be the same orbit and maintaining a constant distance, was another satellite (mag. 0). I think this was a Russian freighter which has just finished waste collection. Can anyone confirm this?

At my lat (about 10.28 PM BST+1) I saw ISS through 10-15 seconds (constellation Hercules); before I noticed that one I saw and I heard big plane. Of course, plane flied lower than ISS but similar route. Last night I saw not much because skies covered clouds.

On twitter @virtualastro just tweeted "GO OUT NOW! The ISS is passing over and so is the itty bitty progress supply module. (Dunno where that is though?)"

Good chance it was that.

I just went outside and the clouds cleared just enough to allow a clear naked eye view of ISS. Amazingly bright and fast. Very cool indeed. Wish I'd had a camera ready but great to see visually for the first time.

Just watched the 21.26 hrs International Space Station pass (Mag. -3.3). A good way in front of the ISS, in what appeared to be the same orbit and maintaining a constant distance, was another satellite (mag. 0). I think this was a Russian freighter which has just finished waste collection. Can anyone confirm this?

I saw that too and did wonder if it was a supply craft.

Archived