Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Desnity estimation on a cosmic scale

I am really chuffed we got a paper published in Astronomy and Astrophysics on a comparison of density estimation techniques to determine the environment of galaxies in the cosmos. Though I orginally studied astronomy, I moved to computer science, and am now senior lecturer at the computer science department. In a collaboration with the Kapteyn Astronomical Institute I now have my first real astronomical journal paper.

In summary we find that a method commonly used in astronomy does not perform as well as a method originally developed for estimation of data points over abstract data spaces. The method we put forward is faster (especially on large data sets) and more accurate in most cases.

Details and the pdf can be found below.

B.J. Ferdosi, H. Buddelmeijer, S.C. Trager, M.H.F. Wilkinson, and J.B.T.M. Roerdink. Comparison of desnity estimation methods for astronomical datasets. Astronomy and Astrophysics (2011), 531: A114, DOI: 10.1051/0004-6361/201116878. PDF file downloadable here

Archived