Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laser issue with the astro engineering laser collimator

Hi all, this is a just a quick question for some feedback. I managed to get hold of an astro engineering laser colimator from scopes n skys, the one i wanted wasnt in stock so they were kind enough to send me a more expensive item for the same price as the original i ordered. Problem, the laser itself after around two to three minutes of use looses power in that the beam goes no further that the end of the laser unit.

If I turn the unit off and leave it for a few minutes the power goes back up, but again after two to three minutes it looses power. I have renewed all three batteries and its still doing the same.

Question, can anyone advise if this is normal practise with a laser, as it seems very difficult to collimate if the power keeps going down, and secondly, does anyone have the astro engineering laser colimator and have they had the same issues.

Many thanks

I have had little experience with Lasers and optical radiation as my work involves mainly ionising radiation.

However, it sounds like a laser fault to me - overheating? I would give scopes and skies a call for advice.

Please don't be tempted to take it apart to have a look. (Sorry if this sounds silly but I am notorious for taking stuff apart when I shouldn't :shock:).

Some lasers are down classed because of the enclosure they are contained in. i.e the enclosure protects you from stray beams, but the laser inside is actually quite powerful.

Hope you get sorted.

Bill£

i bought a similar one form scopes n skies. Inside is a cap teaser as used by lecturers to point to their presentations with.

They gen take three of those watch batteries, but ur right the power does not last long in them

my advise if ur going to change the batts is be careful not to b****r the alignment as its gen a pain to put back. The cap teaser is held in place by three screws

hope this helps

Al

Hi Al

Thanks, I actually sent the unit back and have asked for a replacement, IMHO a laser should be happy to be powered up for more than a few minutes, I believe either the lasers themselves are faulty ot the laser is a shoddy bit of kit, either way I want a aser collimater that stays on long enough for me to at least use it. I know I should have gone to FLO.

My laser collimator did this aswell, the beam wouldn't last more than 1 or 2 minutes before going extremely faint, new high quality batteries didn't change a thing either, so i returned it and got an astro engineering colli-mate cheshire.

Archived