Eye relief and screw out eyepieces

Can someone help me with this please?

I think eye relief may be " How far away from the eyepeice you can position your eye"

And I think screw out eyepieces, allow you to select this eye-relief and then place your eye on the E/P.

If not, please fill me in.

If so, then do I screw the e/p all the way out, or halfway, or something else?

Cheers

Wise

Eye relief is, as you say, the distance that your eye should be from the top lens of the eyepiece to take in the full field of view of the eyepiece. For eyepieces with screw up eye cups (I think thats what you mean) you can adjust the position of the eye cup so that your eye can find the correct placement easier each time you use the eyepiece. The best way to find the right position for you is to experiment as it's a pretty personal thing I think :)

I think you've got it right. As a spec-wearer with astigmatism, I need the longest eye-relief possible, and generally need to screw the eyecups in as far as they can go. But I guess that if you don't wear glasses, then eye relief isn't such an issue, and screwing out the eyecups enables you to shield your eye from extranous light.

Archived