Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CCD - Focal Reducer Distance

jcm

A few weeks ago I picked up a SXV-M7 camera for about half price. I thought it would be a good camera to practice with. I also picked up a 0.7X focal reducer. On the edge it says Antares 0.7X - Canada.

I was wondering if there was any specific CCD to reducer distance for optimum results. Perhaps with the small M7 chip its not so vital.

John

It isn't critical John. The distance between reducer and chip affects where the focuser has to place the reducer in relationtionship to the objective. This in turn affects the amount of effective focal reduction. In reality the difference is is only small and is only really critical if you are close to running out of focus travel or are struggling to frame your image

The Meade 0.33 reducer comes with some spacers which can be used to reduce the focal reduction. Edge of field distortion may be an issue with larger chips at 0.33 and the spacers reduce the reduction. A much bigger problem is vignetting. The 0.33 reducer doesn't work well with an SXVh9 and is a no no with an SLR. I think it will probably be ok with the M7 but you might need flats because of the possiblity of a little vignetting.

Archived