Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Noisy new EQ6 Goto

philming

Hi all !

I received my EQ6 e few weeks ago and quiet successfully did some shooting during my summer break.

Anyway, one thing I have noticed is the noise it does, especially when starting and finishing a slew. Some big grinder noise for a second or two, then the silent hiss, and the grinder again. During tracking, I get what I suppose is the usual "swish-swish sound".

I was wondering what was doing this. I really don't understand why EQ6 users are bashing the CG5. The latter is much more silent once tracking.

Anything I can do about this ? Where does that problem come from ?

I'll post a video with sound when I'll go out again, not sure when though.

I'm probably going to hyper tune it at some point, but I must get used to the idea first, and get the time to do it and change the washers, and different gears inside, regrease it and so on.

Any advice would be welcome.

Best regards,

Phil.

Its noise from the gears and the stepper motor. They rattle a bit but its quite normal.

You can adjust the mount and tune the ra and dec. Look for Astro-babys website and it has a complete strip down guide and how to adjust any play.

Points to note-

If you remove the stepper motors dont put them back too hard against the worm as it can cause the motor to bind

Take your time and be patient...takes a while to adjust then check then adjust etc.

By the way, its nothing to worry about if the mounts working fine.

Archived