Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

max guided weight on eq5

can anyone give me some suggestions of the maximum size i should be looking at for guided imaging on an eq5? i know i know, HEQ5 would be better, but im sure il get away with it :)

would a 150 newt with an 80mm frac guider be too much? should i go for a frac for imaging? not gonna have loads of money so its gotta be kept on the cheap side. any ideas?

Hi there

As it does not mention the 80mm fract in your list of goodies I am assuming you have not bought it yet. If not have you considered an off axis guider.

This would save the extra weight on the mount.

Just an idea as I intend to go down this route with my set up. A 200mm newt on an EQ5 mount.

i would suggest a small frac for imaging a 150 newt with a st80 say then dslr, guide cam would be putting alot of strain on your mount might be able to track but dont think the gears would get away unscathed in time.Its always better to keep the mount at 3/4 of its capacity more stable better the image hope this helps

I've been reading posts on this topic with interest. I've a goto upgraded eq5 with a 200p and finder/guider + qhy5. I'm really getting concerned I'm over the tolerance level and am doing long term damage to the mount. How does an ED80 compare weight and dso photography wise to the 200p? If I went down the off axis guider route would the 200p and ed80 as guider work on the eq5?

Sorry for hijacking, but it's along the lines of the thread :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived