PST image from 14th Aug

Cazagee

Hi all,

I'm just loving my PST, it's a great wee scope. I've took this shot with my canon 550D, hyperion zoom at approx 16mm & PST (on a camera tripod). Maybe a little over done...but I'm still learning!

Those proms were amazing!

Carol :)

6050395809_0f64d5b502_z.jpg

That's a great effort, you got plenty of surface detail there. :)

I lost all my pics from the 14th, I forgot to set a place for them to save. But it was a good day to be viewing at least.

Well done.

Thanks very much for your nice comments. Solar astronomy is addictive isn't it? .... and there is so much to see just now. It's a real shame you lost all your data from the 14th Pibbles, but as you say it was a great day for observing.... I'm still amazed by the views........to think we're able to look at the sun..and in such detail from our own doorstep.... It's brilliant!

Here's hoping for some more sunny days.

Carol :)

That's alright, I'm using the same sort of method you are but there is no way I can the sort of detail you are on the surface no matter what I try.

Losing the data is more user error than anything, I'm trying to get used to using Astrophotography tool and it's not all that smooth atm.

Hi all,

Sorry about the delay in replying... it's been a busy week!

Olly, Keith is absolutely right, it is 2 images, one exposed for the proms and one for the surface detail. They were taken in movie mode set to record in mono, focused with live view x 5. I also use a shutter release cable to take the shots.

To process I first of all tweek in Zoombrowser (the software that came with the camera) adjust levels, curves but not too much, add a little unsharp mask and then colour. Once I'm happy with the two images I use GIMP to copy and paste the surface detail on to the prom image...which is why you can see that black ring...still got to figure how to get rid of that.

Pibbles, not sure what Astrophotography tool is, do you use it to capture images via a laptop or is it for processing?

I did manage to get a peek at the sun today, 10 mins before it clouded over! Supose it's better than nothing. Hope you all fared better.

All the best

Carol

I'm just trialing Astrophotography tool now, which is why I have had a few mishaps but yes it's basically to capture images via the laptop, it really helps with the focusing in on the details although you don't seem to have any problem with that at all. :)

You could always use EOS Utilities which sometimes comes with the Canons too.

www.astroplace.net - APT - Introduction

For the black ring because it can be tricky what I do is feather the edges slightly, but I have been using photoshop but surely GIMP has a similar function a quick search found this 4.9. Feather.

Also I think(note the I think) it is the scale tool in GIMP that will help you transfrom the image of the surface detail so it can be made the same size as the prom disk(if that makes sense).

Archived