NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 & M45 @ 200mm

blackparticle

A couple from last night. I wasn't sure if the skies would clear so I set the mount up early and waited. I eventually got lucky at 1am so decided to just go with something simple.

I already had a few subs for Andromeda with my 200mm lens when I was testing it out for size so that seemed like the logical target.

Everything stacked in DSS, tweaked in Nebulosity and then finished off in PS4.

M31, M32 & M110 - Andromeda <65 x 180s - f/4> (20 darks)

3562bcc6fa4fc692eb12384426d24651-d45y2a7.jpg

Right towards the end of the night when the trees were about to get in the way of M31 above my head, I managed to get a few subs for the Pleiades. I'd not imaged this before, so again, more to test for size than anything else. It's a great object this one and I'm looking forwards to giving it a proper session when it gets to a suitable height in the sky.

M45 - The Pleiades <8 x 180s - f/4> (20 darks)

m45___the_pleiades_by_blackparticle-d45y22r.jpg

DSS won't let me do a x3 drizzle on a full DSLR frame so I went back and did just the main galaxy.

Unfortunately you can see the slightly distorted optics that this lens has.. Perhaps I should have stopped it up a bit from f/4? .. But it was cheap on eBay.

I'm very pleased with the overall result though. The main galaxy itself shows some nice detail and cloud structure.

d0a1a6652acfc2d2fd09ea21661f6d97-d45ye06.jpg

Good shots, though I sense you had to struggle against the chromatic aberration of the lens a little. I used to own the Takumar 200mm/f4 and it requires a bit of stopping down.

If you do a lot of widefield, it is worth investing in an apo lens. I found the Leitz 180mm/f3.4 Telyt a decent lens while affordable on the second hand market. Sigma Apos might also be worth investigating.

I'd have to agree Dave. The lens takes fairly good shots when scaled down for screen so the aberration then gets lost in the shrinking. At full resolution, however, I think they do struggle a bit. I think stopping down too much from f/4 would also make it a bit slow for astro-photography. Still, much easier to carry around than a scope. :smiley:

Loving the wide field M31....this really is a very good pic, and one u should be proud of. and the Pleiades, well thats the first pic ive seen this early in the season. i thought i saw them through the light pollution over bristol the other night.

• 2 years later...

Archived