NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where is saturn?

tyler_jrb

Hey all, have been out the past few nights with my scope trying to look for saturn with no such luck, I have looked all over using the stellarium from around 9:30pm untill around 11:00pm and no luck. Is it too late to view saturn at this sime of year, too low on the horizon?.

It's a little late to be finding Saturn I think it's quite low at 9:30 around 10 degrees so unless you have a low horizon in the west you won't see it and it's below the horizon just after 10:30

But don't fret Jupiter season is upon us now ;)

Jake

thanks for the reply jake cant wait for jupiter, seen it just before going to bed in the east but my dob isnt high enough to take a look. Too bad about saturn but the horizon is very low when i go on holiday on sat so maybe i can see it then, The skies are also very dark and I cant wait should be some good views thanks again jake ;).

I was watching Saturn last week in France with an 8" Dob - the western sky was clear down to around 3'.

Saturn was around 10' high at 10:20 pm local time and I could JUST make out the Cassini division and a band on the surface in moments of better seeing. However it will be lower next week so you will be looking through more atmosphere I wouldn't expect too much.

By 1am local Uranus will be 15' high in the eastern sky and getting higher.

By 3am local Jupiter will be 24' high in the eastern sky and getting higher - that will make a great site in your scope as long as the mists don't descend.

thanks david, will watch out for saturn, jupiter and hopefully try uranus. The place on holiday where im going is miles away from any cities and will provide some dark skies hopefully. It also has very low horizon so saturn could be viewable but if not jupiter and some dso's are always a great sight and even better in dark skies. I also wish you luck for your next viewing. :smiley:.

Archived