Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium and Satellites

Greetings,

I recently downloaded Stellarium (having read a post or 2 about it at SGL:rolleyes:) and have enjoyed using it. It is a "slight" upgrade (especially graphics wise:eek:) from using The Sky. Though a few features in The Sky are still nice to use and are lacking in Stellarium. Overall though, Stellarium is MUCH more user friendly and the graphics are great.

It worked quite well tonight in providing locations for the viewing of passing satellites. I was able to catch the Envisat, following it prior to overtaking Sadr, on past Deneb, then picked up the Cosmos 1400 passing Altair and then slewed over and caught the Thor Agena D R/B, doing a drive by on Rasalhague.

Very cool indeed.

I have a question about the Stellarium software though. Several satellites orbit paths were shown, while most were not. Anyone know the reason for this?;) And what is the significance of the satellites with the orbits indicated, if any?

I have read through the user’s guide (Stellarium Wiki) and A Guide to Using Stellarium (Paul Luckas - SPIRIT), both are nicely written, but there seems to be some areas of the software not discussed in either guides.

I don’t mean to knock the guides in any way, the program is very intuitive to use, just wondering about some of the finer points. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Peace.

did you go into the settings plugins and update regular and set the update date saterlites to its lowest value and check the saterlites you want to see are checked

Thanks for the clue.

I did an update, but had not gone into the config. window.:rolleyes:(Me, not you, just ignore the arrow)

For some reason the program "chose" to display certain satellites and also show paths of others. This was by default; I did not make any of these choices??

I have now configured and all makes sense. I just could not understand why some satellites orbit paths were shown and others were not. Figured it had to do with payola/bribes or something. :hello2:

@acey,

Thanks for the response with additional links. :hello2:

@narcoss, ;)

Appreciate the response, I have downloaded it based on all the references in post's to it. Awesome you saw Mars. Congrats. Any "seeing" is good viewing. :)

PS, Pump up the Volume by MARS is a great track. :p

Once again, thanx for all the responses. I appreciate it. That is what's so nice about SGL.:o

Archived