looking for a little help

I'M a beginner with astro-photography.

I have a canon eos 500d (t1i rebel).

1st in what mode would you take photo's in?

2nd what speed to shot at.

3rd i will use my lx200 mount my canon with a

t-ring - adapter.

thanks

Hi.. and first off.. welcome to SGL.. ;)

A quick answer (assuming your targets are DSO's) would be..

1. Manual.. bulb mode for exposures longer than 30secs

2. I normally use 800

I'm assuming you are talkin DSO's here.. Of course if you give us a bit more on what targets you're after i.e. lunar, planets or DSO's we can elaborate a bit more... :rolleyes:

I use the SPC900NC in my sig. It has been SC mod'ed for LE. But I mostly use it for guiding a dslr on the Meg72.

Currently - the nearest webcam is the SPC880 from Morgans website which they will pre-flash to look like a 900NC. Pretty cheap too and ideal for moon/planets.

Video mode on a dslr will get you a few shots - but the webcam can capture thousands of frames in a few mins - so much more appropriate really. That said - I have seen a reasonable result obtained by dslr in video mode ;)

bigskmyt; DSO stands for Deep Sky Object. Galaxies,nebulas, clusters, etc. Depending on your locations LP "light pollution",globular clusters may be the easiest of these to try to image. M13 may be a good one to try, it should be very high in the sky,though it may put your SCT in an awkward position. Consider downloading Stellarium to help with picking your target. You could also just try some widefield shots with the DSLR piggybacked as well,until you get more familiar with your setup.

Archived