NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recomended Cheshire

Hi, I'm looking to get a cheshire and sight tube for my 8 inch newtonian and I was wondering which brand is most recomended and if its better to buy it seperate or combined, I'm not interested in a laser yet and I've used the film canister already but now I'd like something of quality.

Thank you

Any Cheshire will do, or you could even make your own. It's not a high-tech piece of equipment, though maybe some brands are more nicely machined than others. It doesn't matter if it isn't a silky smooth fit in the focuser - slop is not an issue with a Cheshire, as it is with a laser. As long as the cross-hairs meet in the middle it will work fine.

Just one little thing to think about, the Cheshire should ideally have the same f-ratio (length to diameter) as the scope. If it's too long and your scope is fast then you may not see the whole of the primary mirror. But your 8-inch is probably an f6 and I should think that any Cheshire will do for you.

Archived