Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Compact Digital Camera

Hello,

I have a canon A480 10mp compact digital and I have CHDK installed on the SD card which allows me to take long exposures.

Just wondering what sorts of settings I should be using for widefield/star captures? obviously, anything longer than 60s will generate star trails so will probably have to keep the exposures <40s, but what about ISO and white balance andother common settings?

all advice welcome.

im going to assume it is this camera

Canon PowerShot A480 Review - Specifications | PhotographyBLOG

if it is your lens is at 6.6 - 21.6 mm (35mm equivalent: 37 – 122mm)

so in theory tracked u can go to the 60 seconds but on a normal tripod u should be able to get around 20 - 30 seconds (at the widest field of view ) multipul pictures stacked will help greatly though

for iso av a play around with 100 - 800 see which gets better results (different suituations need different ones so it does help to find what works best for you) i wouldnt play with any other setting, u can ajust the picture afterwards in photoshop or any other i think my little camera (not my 300d) likes to cool the pictures at times but i just warm them up in iphoto (mac)

Archived