NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

FlexTube ?

Hi,

I am currently looking to upgrade to either an 8,10 or maybe a 12 " dob.

I am taking the advice of some of the members on this site, and am looking for a used scope.

I was wondering apart from the obvious transportational and storage benefits , what other pros or cons FlexTubes may have over a standard dobsonian scope.

Really want to make the right decision before parting with any cash.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

My 16in Flextube has fab optics, and skywatcher sure pack their scopes well. Mine came in MINT condition. The build quality is really good, and in no way feels budget. If Ikea could make their furnture wood this good i would not be driving back all the time to get refunds.:)

I will admit, my 8se celestron produces a darker sky using low power EP (32mm Nagler). But the 16in Flextube blows (x3 visually better) it away on every eyepiece after that. Thats not to say the contrast its bad, its very good indeed. I prefer viewing with it much more than the 8in.

Its good for planets, DSO's, Doubles (theres not one yet i can't cleanly split), and great for open clusters, tho the 8se beats it for OC as the sky is almost pure black when used in dark site and low power EP.

If you can, i would say go for the 12in, put casters on it and moving it should be fine as long as you don't have any back problems.

ewok see the thread on this page. calling on flex tube owners, it was originally started by me.I was upgrading the same as you and all the advise in that thread lead me to buy a flex 300p, with out doubt the 300 is a big scope but storage is not that bad,the views are superb even in my area the wieght is the main problem but i am 49 and not that fit but i can manage it.hope this will help cheers stu.:)

Hi Ewok, i have a skyliner 300p (not goto but it does track which is very handy). Visually i am very very happy with it. Forget any dso imaging unless you are very skilled but planet image work is very possible. Deep sky and planet observing are fantastic. I have put castors on the base so i can roll it from shed to observing point in the garden. I have also purchased a black yoga mat that i put round the truss to cut out stray light. Set up time is prob not as quick as a mak but about the same as an eq mount. Go for it, i love mine!

Thanks all for the advice.

I think after reading another thread, that I am going to go for the standard OTA. It looks as though there may be more collimation and set up required with a Flextube.

Yet again many thanks all.

Archived