NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Explorer 130

Hi, I have so far only found reviews on here for the 130P model, I'm trying to decide between the two, and wonder if anyone here has any experience with the more basic 130 model?

Does a parabolic mirror really make much difference with this size of 'scope?

Whatever I choose will be my first telescope! :)

Hi and welcome to SGL.

I don't have experience with either of these two scopes. I've just pulled out my Skywatcher 2010 catalogue to see the difference.

The 130 has a focal ratio of F6.92 and the 130P is F5.

There is less need for a parabolic mirror at F6.92 than F5, so thats probably why the 130 is not parabolic, it will be spherical. There is differing opinion as to whether a spherical mirror is ok at that focal ratio. Certainly the 130P at F5 needs a parabolic mirror which is why it has one.

Either model will probably be satisfactory. If it were me, I'd go for the 130P, it's a shorter focal length (650mm) so will give a wider field of view with a given eyepiece,

but thats me, not you ! The 130 with 900mm focal length will give a higher magnification with a given eyepiece, so better for moon/planets/double stars, so maybe that could sway your decision.

Hope I've helped and not confused, Ed.

Ed thanks, some useful info!

So I'm guessing a wider field of view would probably make it easier to find fainter objects?

I suppose the reason I'm coming across so few reviews of the 130 is that the price difference is relatively small...and most would just go for the 130P.

I'm sure that either will be pretty amazing as far as I'm concerned, having only had experience with 10x50 bins.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I should add here, that I bought a 130 in the end, along with some extras (dual axis motor and polarscope on an EQ3-2 mount). I haven't had much luck with the local weather, so so far I have mostly been tinkering with the mount indoors and learning as much as I can!

I am finding this forum to be a real treasure trove of information.

Archived