NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

upgrading my mount

hi all,

ive had a 6inch dobsonian now for around half a year. i am enjoying the scope a lot and what you can see with it. but the fork mount can be a problem sometimes and since i cant do any astro-photography on it because it is not motor driven i thought of upgrading the mount but keep the scope. i was thinking of the eq3-2 deluxe synscan mount. both my friends have the eq3-2 and i have been very pleased with its sturdiness and ease of use. that is at the top end of my budget. is it a good mount and would you say it is a good upgrade?

regards

I had mine on a EQ3-2 and it's the same tube as you. It's usable.... just but I knwe fairly early on that I needed an upgrade since the flex was too annoying to cope with.

You certainly need more oomph for this tube. Having not used one I don't know the full suitability but I'd suggest looking into getting a EQ5 secondhand which is a common things since people that buy the 200P often upgrade to a HEQ5 soonafter and buying the motordrives. Something easily done for £250. I would consider the HEQ5 Syntrek, though. £200 more than the EQ3 Syntrek granted but you're open to future upgrades if the photography bug bites.

Well it sounds like you had already unshakably made up you mind before asking. The EQ3 is far from being able to cope with astrophotography. The max load is 7kg and the tube and rings is 6kg. Add a finder, barlow and webcam and it's really on the edge, a DSLR and you may go past the max load.

The EQ3 has it's uses but paying RRP for the goto isn't financially worth it, less so with the tube you have amd especially not when you can get a second hand EQ5 for around £100 and the goto upgrade new for £290. Basically the same money for more oomph.

Archived