NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC and IC spreadsheets

george7378

Thanks for all the links - I especially like the 'Best NGC list' from the Astro-Tom website. There seem to be a lot of NGC objects - it's funny how we don't see a galaxy or nebula in every random field of view! I guess most are too dim to be seen. How many do you think would be within the limit of a 10" scope from a dark site?

The limiting factor is sky darkness. With a sufficiently dark sky a 12" should be sufficient to see nearly all of the NGC (which has more than 7000 objects). With 10" you could certainly get into the thousands given sufficient perseverance. At a light polluted site things are lot harder. The Herschel 400-I list (400 objects) is well within the ability of an 8" and makes a nice observing list. For a shorter "best non-Messier NGC" list my choice is the RASC list, though I don't know a spreadsheet link for that.

Astronomical Catalogs in Excel

The RASC's Finest N.G.C. Objects List

Archived