NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suggestions please.

I have an EQ5 mount, with a 150PL scope.

I want to buy a guide scope, but am having difficulty with weights.

I see the EQ5 has a weight "limit" of 9Kg, but cannot find the weights of either my 150PL, or that of what would be my preferred guide scope (ST80).

Upgrading the mount is not financially possible at the moment (perhaps in the future).

Would the EQ5 take the weight of the 150PL and the ST80? (also the two cameras, and motorised focuser)

Is there a suitable alternative to the ST80? (I quite like the idea of being able to use it independantly too).

Have a search for finder guider. I have just started successfully guiding with a QHY5 and SW 9x50 finder. Still early days for me with guiding but on the few outings with the kit I have never failed to find a guide star with the combination.

Others have had success with a webcam which I notice you have in your sig.

Modern Astronomy sell the necessary adapters if you go down this route.

I had a 9x50 finder that came with my scope. I bought an adapter from Modern Astronomy as the prwvious poster said.

This allowed me to directly attach my Imaging Source camera with C mount fitting. Using PHD it works great! No weight problems, no flexure issues, and low cost.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys,

I'll take a look at that.

I could then still get an ST80 as a grab & go :)

Am I right in assuming that polar alignment is good, but not vital to be spot on if using a guider system? i.e. get as close as I can, but don't get too hung up on it.

My misunderstanding. I thought that for "tracking" it needed to be spot on, but "guiding" would compensate in both axis.

EDIT:

Just clicked !!

tracking in both axis would introduce star trails on everything except the star you were guiding on. (is this right?)

Thanks Guys,

I could then still get an ST80 as a grab & go :)

I bought my ST80 the same time as the QHY5 with all the intentions of using it for guiding but as the finder guider works I now use it as grab and go. Not ideal on my cheap camera tripod but better than nothing.

I did a little start on guiding before the summer.

QHY5 + PHD with an old 70mm F10 scope. Not ideal with this FL and i had some problems in the mount. But it established the principle that 70mm was more than enough aperture for a guidescope with only a couple of seconds camera exposure. This lends support to the idea put by others of using a 50mm finder. Not sure about going down to 30mm though.

Have checked on modern astronomy. Adapter only available for 8x50 & 9x50.

By the time I bought an adapter (£29) and a new finderscope (£47), plus P&P, I would probably be able to pick up an 80mm StarTravel.

So original question still stands.... would this be too heavy?

(any other suggestions most welcome.)

150pl st80 and the camera plus guide cam is going to be pushing the eq5 just that little bit to much it has a carrying payload of 9kg and it's recommended to image at half the payload of a mount so 4.5kg

All that equipment is going to be pushing it

Jake

Archived